Monday, Oct 2nd 2023
*Please be aware: pricing could fluctuate because the launch of the article!
Saint Emilion Wines will be dear, fortunately, you will discover nice values as properly. Right here is our shortlist of Saint Emilion wines beneath or round US$100:
- Chateau Pavie-Macquin
- Chateau Figeac
- Chateau Canon
- Chateau Beausejour-Becot
- La Tour Figeac
- Chateau Balestard la Tonnelle
- Chateau Moulin St. Georges
The customer to Saint Emilion, about an hour’s drive from Bordeaux, is in for a memorable tour. This space produces lots of France’s most interesting wines, and it does so in a area that’s properly price visiting. Right here, I’ll supply a few of my favourite Saint Emilion wines which can be relative bargains. However first, let’s survey the three areas of Saint Emilion. Listed here are probably the most well-known estates, which regularly have the very best costs.
High Progress and Second Wines
- First, let’s begin on the hillside slopes of Saint Emilion, the place a bottle of Chateau Ausone could value $400 – $800.
- That’s the worth of a case of this wine thirty years in the past!
- Ausone is among the rarest of the good Bordeaux wines. I as soon as loved a luncheon at Chateau Ausone the place I, and a fortunate group of friends, drank a bottle of their 150-year-old wine.
- A extra accessible deal with from the identical hilltop slopes is Chateau Pavie: their 2006 prices $279 and their Pavie-Macquin from 2015 is on the market for $85.
- Then on the neighboring Pomerol plain are a number of wonderful Saint Emilion wines. These embody maybe the most prestigious wines from this area:
- Cheval Blanc (2014, $499)
- Chateau Figeac (2014, $115)
- And at last, on the hilltop of Saint Emilion itself, there are a number of wonderful wines.
- Chateau Canon (2011, $99), is a sturdy and scrumptious wine fairly like a Pauillac from the Medoc area.
Glorious Values beneath $100
Let’s discover a few of the fantastic Saint Emilion wines which can be extra affordable in value.
- Now, let’s begin with Chateau Beausejour-Becot.
- It is a Premier Grand Cru Classe B (a step beneath Ausone and Cheval Blanc).
- It’s 73% Merlot (normal for these blends), 21% Cabernet Franc, and 6% Cabernet Sauvignon. It is a well-made wine, with 5,000 instances produced per yr.
- It had been cut up into two estates in 1869 (which are actually referred to as Beausejour and Becot).
- Within the Nineteen Nineties the proprietor of Becot added two small acreages to the mix (a typical observe within the Medoc). Because of this, he misplaced his Premier Grand Cru rating. It was restored in 1996.
- This historic property now sells fantastic wine for beneath US$100!
- Subsequent, La Tour Figeac was separated from Chateau Figeac in 1879.
- It enjoys a superior terroir on the Pomerol plain.
- It’s a very well-made wine, rated a Grand Cru Classe because the first Saint Emilion classification in 1955. It has been family-owned because the early Seventies. It’s elegant and spicy, one in every of my household’s favourite Saint Emilion wines. I’m certain that you’ll savor it too.
Outdoors of Saint Emilion
- Simply exterior of Saint Emilion is Chateau Balestard la Tonnelle.
- That is the property of Jean Capdemourlin.
- It’s 70% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a Sixteenth-century tower (”tonnelle”) in the course of its winery. Sitting on 25 acres, its vines common 33 years previous.
- This Grand Cru Classe has a purple shade, with a style of berries, nice stability, and end.
- And at last, there’s Chateau Moulin St. Georges.
- Owned by the Vauthier household (that additionally owns Chateau Ausone) it is usually a relative cut price.
- 2,500 instances are made, from the identical manufacturing crew that makes the excellent Ausone – at 5% of the fee. It contains simply 17 acres, 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc.
- In conclusion, this is a connoisseur’s wine – I do know you’ll get pleasure from it!
On the lookout for Bordeaux Excursions?
See our accessible excursions and begin planning your dream wine tour as we speak.