Pages on this website could include affiliate hyperlinks, which usher in a small fee without charge to you.
Searching for the perfect day journeys from Lyon? This checklist will prevent time so you may spend it having fun with the sights!
Lyon is an excellent metropolis and, like Paris, it is laborious to go away. There’s sufficient to maintain you busy for days!
You could have the meals, the magnificent out of doors murals, the mysterious secret traboules… there are such a lot of fantastic issues to do in Lyon.
However what occurs as soon as you have seen all of it? Or for those who simply need a break from the town?
Inside shut attain of Lyon − in two hours or much less − you may discover wonderful vineyards, a number of the prettiest cities in France, lovable medieval villages, Roman ruins, a Papal palace, and fields of lavender. And that is only a begin.
There is a motive my area (sure, I occur to reside right here!), the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, is taken into account the guts of France…so please, let me be your information.
Lyon has been a metropolis on the crossroads since Roman instances.
Two main rivers meet right here, the Saône and the Rhône, and beneath the Roman Empire, Lyon – then referred to as Lugdunum – was on the highway from Rome to Hispania, or Spain.
Throughout the Center Ages, enormous commerce festivals attracted retailers from throughout Europe and once more, Lyon was completely positioned, ultimately turning into the silk capital of Europe.
In the present day, Lyon stays on the coronary heart of France, about midway between Paris and the French Riviera and surrounded by a few of France’s most iconic and beautiful sights.
What follows is a listing of the finest day journeys from Lyon, all of which I’ve skilled personally and may suggest most enthusiastically. This checklist will assist prevent analysis time so to spend that point having fun with the sights!
Greatest day journeys from Lyon
Many of the following day journeys may be executed by practice. The place that is not the case, I’ve supplied alternate options. I’ve additionally added an icon after every day journey vacation spot that will help you resolve:
- 🚝 you may simply go by practice
- 🚘 it is higher to drive
- ☂️ take a tour
1. Aix-les-Bains 🚘 🚝
Aix-les-Bains is a spa city with mountains on one facet and a beautiful lake on the opposite, making it’s simple to mix a metropolis go to with a hike or a ship experience.
Today journey is right if you wish to go to a small, offbeat metropolis surrounded by loads of nature. It was a favourite of Queen Victoria, and far of the town stays as she would have seen it.
Issues to do in Aix-les-Bains
- Spend an hour or two on the thermal baths and spas, identified for his or her therapeutic properties.
- Benefit from the Artwork Deco and Belle Epoque structure, together with the On line casino.
- Stroll alongside the redeveloped boardwalk alongside the lake and benefit from the cafés and eating places within the port.
- Head all the way down to the lake for a stroll alongside what is known as the Riviera of the Alps. In case you have the time, you may take a ship throughout the Lac du Bourget to the beautiful lakeside Abbaye d’Hautecombe, a magical 12-th century constructing practically hidden within the forest. That is the place the Dukes of Savoy had been historically buried. You may also drive right here – it is a half-hour away.
2. Annecy 🚝 🚘
You have in all probability heard of Annecy, considered one of (if not THE) prettiest cities in France. It has a beautiful lake, spectacular mountains, and a pleasant medieval quarter. It is laborious to not love!
It is a great day journey from Lyon and takes about two hours by practice, with the primary practice leaving Lyon round 7am and the final practice leaving Annecy round 7.30pm. This implies you may have lunch in Annecy, however you may must plan on having dinner again in Lyon.
Today journey is right if you wish to stroll on cobblestones and beneath arcades, but additionally take a break by the lake.
Issues to do in Annecy
- Stroll across the Previous City. It’s so impossibly picturesque you may assume you walked straight right into a postcard. The triangular Palais de l’Isle, as soon as a jail and now an exhibition house, is an iconic sight many individuals immediately acknowledge.
- Get pleasure from Lake Annecy. Both take a ship experience on its crystal-clear waters, or stroll or experience its circumference. The lake is now circled by a mountaineering/bike path.
- Stroll as much as Annecy Fortress. The Twelfth-century construction stands above the “Venice of the Alps”, as Annecy is usually referred to as.
- On Tuesday or Friday morning, benefit from the market within the Previous City, and on the final Saturday of the month, it is time for the month-to-month antiques market.
- For one thing quirky, go to the Musée Paccard, devoted to the historical past of bell-making and has a big assortment of bells from all over the world.
3. Avignon 🚝
Avignon just isn’t an apparent day journey vacation spot however at simply over two hours from Lyon on the high-speed practice, it is do-able. The Avignon practice station is true downtown and close to the sights, so exploring is simple.
Today journey is right for those who’re fascinated by the Center Ages and European historical past.
Issues to do in Avignon
- Go to the Papal Palace, the seat of the papacy through the 14th century and a UNESCO World Heritage website.
- Uncover the Pont d’Avignon (Avignon Bridge), topic of considered one of France’s most well-known kids’s songs.
- Take a stroll by means of the pleasant previous city of Avignon and discover its many historical landmarks. Or take a strolling tour that features a skip-the-line ticket to the Papal Palace.
- Go to the strategic 14th-century Fort Saint-André in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon, throughout the river.
4. Beaujolais wine area ☂️ 🚘
Villefranche-sur-Saône is the leaping off level for the Beaujolais wine area, proper on the banks of the Saône river and surrounded by vineyards and rolling hills.
The city can be identified for its cultural and inventive heritage, with a number of museums and galleries to go to.
You possibly can’t go to your entire Beaujolais in a day however you may get a style of it!
- Go wine-tasting, in fact, from château to château, and even keep in a single in a single day – the Chateau Montmelas is my favourite.
- Stroll round Villefranche-sur-Saône, the capital of the Beaujolais, and benefit from the Renaissance structure.
- Go to the collégiale Notre-Dame-des-Marais, constructed over 4 centuries starting within the Twelfth, of each Romanesque and Gothic structure.
- Take a day journey to one of many close by vineyards and mix your wine-tasting with a gourmand meal and spa remedies on the Château de Pizay
- Take a drive to the pleasant village of Oingt, within the space referred to as the Pierres Dorées, or golden stones, named after the colour of the constructing stone.
5. Bourg-en-Bresse 🚝
Bourg-en-Bresse is the capital of the Ain division and a small provincial city that occurs to pack fairly a little bit of punch.
It has loads of historic monuments and a pleasant (although small) previous city, together with classical buildings and a reputed gastronomical status.
This can be a city for individuals who wish to go off the crushed path, witness artisans nonetheless at work, and eat beautiful regional meals.
Issues to do in Bourg-en-Bresse
- Go to the Sixteenth-century Gothic Monastère Royal de Brou (Royal Monastery of Brou), a UNESCO World Heritage Website. The Brou museum has a major assortment reflecting the historical past of the city and the area.
- Take a stroll by means of the previous city of Bourg-en-Bresse, stuffed with half-timbered homes and loads of historic structure and landmarks.
- Discover the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de l’Annonciation and its Gothic-Renaissance combine and its wood-carved inside and stained glass home windows.
- Go to Vonnas, a half-hour drive away (or 45 min by practice), and have lunch at L’Ancienne Auberge 1900 to pattern a volaille de Bresse, or Bresse hen, which has a protected designation of origin. The whole village gravitates round this and a number of other different eating places (plus a resort advanced) of Michelin-starred Georges Blanc.
6. The Bugey 🚘
This one is simple – it is MY area!
Half of it’s undulating plains and delicate hillsides coated with vineyards, whereas the opposite half is wild and rugged, not shocking given it borders the Alpine départements of the Savoie and Haute-Savoie, the Jura Mountains, and Switzerland.
This can be a go to for these of you who need to mix nature and meals.
Issues to do within the Bugey
- The Bugey is a spot to drive round and benefit from the countryside, or go mountaineering or climbing within the Gorges de l’Albarine.
- Go to the bizarre city of Seyssel, a city break up in two with two church buildings, two banks, two pharmacies, two colleges, two publish places of work… France used to finish right here and the Rhône delineated the border between France and what was then Savoy.
- In winter, this space is right for cross-country snowboarding and snowsheoing.
- In summer season, you may get pleasure from a large number of small lakes to get away from the warmth of the town. Discover out extra from the Haut-Bugey vacationer workplace.
7. Chambéry 🚝
Chambéry was as soon as the capital of Savoy, a duchy in southeastern France that joined France in 1860. It is heaven for out of doors sports activities, winter and summer season, proper on the foot of the Alps.
It additionally has a compact however interesting previous city, good for a wander by means of the historical past of Savoy.
Issues to do in Chambery
- Go to the Fortress of the Dukes of Savoy, a historic fortress that was as soon as the duchy’s seat. It homes a regional historical past museum and a chapel with a 70-bell carillon, the most important in Europe.
- Go to the Fifteenth-century Cathédrale Saint François de Gross sales, which has the most important assortment of trompe l’oeil in Europe. The ceiling and partitions appear to be they have been carved however no, all these curlicues are literally painted on.
- Circle the Elephant Fountain, just because it is not normal to see elephants on this a part of the world. On this case they’re paying homage to a sure Common de Boigne’s exploits in India, the place he made a fortune and reinvested a few of it in beautifying Chambéry upon his return.
- In the event you occur to be a fan of the 18th-century thinker Jean-Jacques Rousseau, you may discover a statue of him within the Parc du Clos Savoiroux and Les Charmettes, the home the place he spent a number of years with Mme de Warens, his mistress and benefactress.
- To study much more about Chambery, take this self-guided tour together with your smartphone.
8. Dijon 🚝
Dijon is at all times a favourite vacation spot, with its historical streets and historical past as the previous capital of the Dukes of Burgundy.
This can be a metropolis for guests who need a little bit of an city vibe, with loads of historical past and tradition, and a significant dedication to meals and wine. Keep in mind, Dijon is true on the Burgundy Wine Route (for when you could have greater than a day).
Issues to do in Dijon
- Go to the model new Cité Internationale de la Gastronomie et du Vin, a tremendous meals and wine advanced with retailers, eating places, displays, wine tastings, workshops and even cooking lessons.
- Admire the Palais des Ducs et des États de Bourgogne (Palace of the Dukes and States of Burgundy), a good looking Renaissance constructing that’s house to the Tremendous Arts Museum and its two, extremely ornate and carved tombs of the Dukes of Burgundy.
- Take a stroll by means of the previous city of Dijon by following the Owl’s Path, which can information you to all the most important points of interest of Dijon, just like the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Dijon, the town’s medieval streets, and the numerous city mansions scattered all through the town.
- In the event you’re a fan of quirky small museums, head for the Musée de la Vie Bourguignonne (Museum of Burgundian Life), which traces the historical past of Dijon by means of all types of fascinating shows starting from the on a regular basis lifetime of schoolchildren to an array of historical retailers, adorned the best way they was once. It is a ten-minute stroll from the middle however you may take the free bus or simply stroll – I cherished this little museum!
- And for those who’re feeling athletic, climb the 300 steps of Tour Philippe le Bon for a shocking view over Dijon. On Friday and Saturday evenings, you may have an satisfying “apéro” – or pre-dinner drink – on the prime of the tower. Simply take your time climbing!
- Since you do not have the time to go wine-tasting in Burgundy, let Burgundy come to you with this wine-tasting expertise within the coronary heart of Dijon.
9. The Dombes 🚘
This can be a rural wetland area dotted with tiny lakes, or ponds, perfect for having fun with its many protected areas, mountaineering and birdwatching. It is sometimes called the “land of 1000 ponds”.
Come right here to pattern a number of the attribute specialties, just like the native hen or native frogs’ legs. Eat your fill after which take a wander by means of the light waterways.
Issues to do within the Dombes
- The Parc des Oiseaux, or Hen Park, with 3000 birds belonging to 300 species, undertakes quite a few conservation measures in favor of endangered species.
- Stroll across the medieval village of Châtillon-sur-Chalaronne with its historic middle, indoor market corridor, and quite a few artisans.
10. Evian-les-Bains 🚘
This can be a pretty city however a little bit removed from Lyon.
Nonetheless, for those who’re visiting Geneva or planning a little bit highway journey into the Alps, it’s possible you’ll be stopping in Evian alongside the best way. You CAN go for the day for those who do not thoughts the drive.
Today journey is right if you wish to see Lake Geneva and discover out all about Evian water, whereas maybe having fun with a number of spa remedies.
Issues to do in Evian-les-Bains
- As the house of Evian water, you may go to their exhibit and refill your water at their public fountain.
- Drop by the spa for a remedy or the on line casino for a sport.
- Largely, although, stroll round and admire the structure from the Belle Epoque.
11. Geneva 🚝
Sure, I do know Geneva is in Switzerland, not France, however domestically, it is typically handled as if it had been a part of France. Many French folks work in Geneva, and lots of Swiss reside in France. It is a so-called “border zone” and nowadays, the border is fairly fluid.
Geneva is a straightforward day journey from Lyon, particularly for those who’re within the temper to cross a border and are on the lookout for a little bit of “worldwide” taste.
Issues to do in Geneva
- Admire the Jet d’Eau, one of many world’s tallest fountains and probably Geneva’s most iconic sight.
- Take a basic selfie on the floral clock, the town’s different iconic sight. The floral preparations change often so even for those who’ve been right here earlier than, it is going to in all probability look completely different.
- Stroll across the Previous City and college grounds, the place you may discover the Wall of the Reformers, in-built honor of the leaders of the Protestant actions.
- Hop the tram to historical Carouge, typically nicknamed Geneva’s “Greenwich Village”, stuffed with welcoming eating places and boutiques.
- Go to the United Nations headquarters. It is a one-hour go to however an enchanting one. Nonetheless, the UN constructing is being renovated so the variety of visits has been minimize, which suggests it could take a number of months to snag a spot – sop reserve early!
- Go to the sensible Purple Cross Museum (and have lunch at their surprisingly good cafeteria).
12. Grenoble 🚝
In the event you’re visiting in winter, Grenoble will probably be your leaping off level for lots of the close by ski resorts. In the event you are available summer season, you may be coming for historical past and for the views.
Today journey is right if you’d like beautiful views and are excited about World Conflict II historical past.
Issues to do in Grenoble
- La Bastille, a Nineteenth-century navy fort that stands above the town, has been transformed into an leisure and cultural house with eating places and museums – undoubtedly value a go to.
- Getting there’s probably the most enjoyable: experience the “bulles”, or bubbles, and you will be overlooking extraordinary panoramic views of Grenoble and the Alps.
- The town’s museum – le Musée de Grenoble – has a stable beaux-arts assortment and particular displays definitely worth the entrance charge. Final time I visited there was an impressive collection of Giacommetti sculptures…
- In the event you’re excited about World Conflict II historical past, the actually glorious Musée de la Résistance et de la Déportation de l’Isère traces the area’s historical past from 1939-1945, throughout which Grenoble fought the Nazis with nice braveness.
13. Orange 🚝 🚘
Orange is on the best way to Provence and has a wealthy historical past and cultural heritage, given its significance throughout Roman instances. It additionally has a compact previous city, for lovers of the medieval and classical eras.
It’s kind of far for a day journey however completely value it for those who mix a go to to the Roman ruins with a wine-tasting journey to the wonderful Rhône Valley vineyards close by.
Today journey is right if you wish to mix Roman ruins and wine tasting.
Issues to do in Orange
- Go to the Roman Amphitheater, probably the greatest preserved in France. It’s nonetheless used for live shows and performs, particularly in summer season, through the Chorégies d’Orange, a world opera and classical music pageant with a worldwide status.
- The opposite fantastic Roman wreck (and just like the amphitheater, protected by the UNESCO World Heritage Checklist) is the 2000-year-old Arc de Triomphe, which dates again to the primary century and one of many world’s best-preserved Roman arches.
- Go style some wine within the close by Rhône Valley, house to such well-known wines as Chateauneuf-du-Pape. It is a ten-minute drive for those who’ve come by automobile but when not, take into account taking a tour to the vineyards (virtually higher than driving since you can pattern!)
- Store on the large weekly city market, each Thursday morning.
14. Pérouges 🚘 🚝
This village within the Ain division is the place to go for those who’re eager on visiting an beautiful medieval village, one of many most lovely villages in France. The city has a wealthy historical past and was an vital middle of commerce and trade through the Center Ages.
In excessive season it could actually get crowded (you may see all of the tour buses within the car parking zone) however this is a tip: keep in a single day, and have the village virtually to your self.
It is the sort of village the place you need to merely stroll… cease and gaze… and stroll once more. Previous, quaint, and full of ambiance.
Issues to do in Pérouges
- Stroll. Simply stroll round and luxuriate in the great thing about the village of Perouges and its medieval structure.
- Cease by the artisan retailers and benefit from the handworked crafts.
- Pattern the galette de Pérouges, the native candy tart or sugar pie (you may know the place to purchase it since you’ll scent the aroma drifting throughout the village – simply observe your nostril).
- Go to the tiny however fascinating Museum of Arts and Common Traditions.
- Sit in the principle sq. with a espresso or tea and easily watch – one thing’s at all times occurring.
15. Valence 🚝
Valence (the previous Roman Valentia) was as soon as an vital Roman metropolis, as you may see from a few of its vestiges, and it has some beautiful items of structure from the Center Ages onward.
Valence can be identified for its lovely pure setting, as it’s positioned within the coronary heart of the Rhône Valley, surrounded by vineyards, rolling hills and the banks of the Rhône.
It is a vibrant, cheerful city, a gateway to the south of France, the place you may already start to really feel you are in Provence.
Issues to do in Valence
- Go to the Eleventh-century Romanesque Cathédrale Saint-Apollinaire (above).
- Comply with within the footsteps of Napoleon Bonaparte, who visited right here 18 instances between 1778-1814. You possibly can observe his hint alongside Sur les Pas de Bonaparte, with 26 small plaques set within the sidewalk to information you.
- Go to the Musée de Valence, whose 20,000 stretch again into prehistory. I am a fan of Roman mosaics and the museum has a number of stellar items.
- Go to Le Pendentif, the pendant, a Sixteenth-century memorial hidden away within the coronary heart of the cathedral’s cloister – a pleasant view at sundown.
- In-built 1530, La Maison des Têtes (the Home of Heads) might be the town’s most well-known monument, named after the allegorical sculptures that encompass it (Napoleon loved visiting it).
- An uncommon venue is the Middle for Armenian Heritage – Valence has the most important Armenian neighborhood in France (it makes up 10% of the inhabitants).
- Seize a burst of nature by heading to the port de l’Épervière, France’s largest river port, or strolling round one of many city’s many parks.
16. Vienne 🚝
To not be confused with Vienna, Austria (in French they’re each spelled the identical), this metropolis south of Lyon is finest identified for its Gallo-Roman ruins and is simple to succeed in if you do not have a lot time.
Unfold over a number of websites and museums, the city is an absolute delight for lovers of Antiquity – but additionally for its medieval treasures, church buildings and cloisters (and wine-tasting within the Côtes du Rhone).
Issues to do in Vienne
- Topping the checklist is a go to to the Temple of Augustus and Livia, a well-preserved Roman temple from the first century CE.
- The Tour de l’Horloge is a medieval clock tower from which you may get panoramic views of the town.
- The Modern Artwork Museum has a big assortment of recent and modern artwork.
- There are many historic landmarks within the previous city, just like the Cathédrale Saint-Maurice and the Maison de l’Argence.
- Go wine-tasting within the surrounding Rhône Valley, house to a number of the finest vineyards in France.
- The weekly market is on Saturdays, for those who occur to be on the town on that day.
Ultimate ideas on day journeys from Lyon
Lots of you may be returning to Lyon after your day journey, and some of it’s possible you’ll be pushing onwards to your subsequent cease.
For these of you coming again to the town, bear in mind that for those who’re touring by practice, your final practice could also be fairly early, so plan in your dinner accordingly. Get again to Lyon in time to eat!
And in case you have the time, take not considered one of these excursions from Lyon, however two, or three!
In the event you appreciated this, please share it on social media!