Pages on this website might include affiliate hyperlinks, which usher in a small fee without charge to you.
All the pieces it’s essential find out about renting a automobile in France – prices, guidelines, security
Image these Fifties films, the place crimson convertibles race alongside the French Riviera, discover lavender fields or climb in direction of deserted fortresses.
Cannot you simply see your self on a French highway journey?
When you’ve got your individual automobile, nice! However if you happen to’re considering of renting a automobile in France, please learn on and I will attempt to reply each one in all your questions.
12 Important tricks to discover one of the best automobile rental in France
The next suggestions will guarantee your France automobile journey is thrilling, wonderful, and trouble-free!
1. Know the prices and availability of your automobile rental
Price is a significant factor within the resolution to hire a automobile and the price of hiring a automobile in France per day will fluctuate. Evaluate automobile costs in France if you happen to already know the place you are going, and scan the web page for automobile rental – France offers – which are sometimes out there.
There was worth creep and low-cost rental automobiles in France have gotten scarcer. That stated, you possibly can nonetheless assist maintain prices down:
- When you’re supplied an improve if you hire your automobile, assume twice: a bigger automobile will use extra fuel and price extra (to not point out these tiny roads and streets the place you would possibly get caught).
- When you can, go to on the low season or shoulder season. Automotive costs in France are a lot larger through the peak vacationer season, and automobiles are scarcer then. Costs may climb throughout French holidays, round Christmas, or in summer time.
- Study totally different places, as a result of rental automobile costs change relying on the town and even the precise company you hire from. Airports could be costlier than downtown, which may be costlier than a suburb, so examine costs earlier than you determine.
Automotive rental corporations will normally require a credit score somewhat than a debit card, so be sure to have one, or examine that the rental company accepts debit playing cards.
One factor to observe for are hidden or further prices when renting automobiles in France.
- Tools: automobiles are normally totally geared up however make sure that it has all the things you want – like GPS or child or baby seats – and if not, whether or not there is a price.
- Limitless mileage (kilométrage illimité): if you happen to plan on driving comparatively lengthy distances, make sure that your rental provides this selection.
- Tax: anticipate to pay VAT tax of 20% above and past the price of your rental.
- It’s your decision some further insurance coverage, which could be as costly as the price of the rental itself. Verify if you happen to’re already coated by a coverage at residence.
- If paying in your rental on website (versus on-line), be sure to examine your foreign money conversions in order that you do not get overcharged
2. Guide early, particularly if you need an computerized transmission
Most automobile rental transmissions are handbook, though the variety of computerized automobiles out there for rental in France is rising.
Automatics normally price extra to hire, and they’re scarcer.
Additionally, bear in mind that in case you have a licence that solely permits you to drive an computerized automobile, you will not be capable to hire a stick shift automobile.
3. Cowl the necessities
Every French automobile rental company can have its personal circumstances and add-ons, which you will need to examine. In addition they have totally different age insurance policies, gas insurance policies or driver necessities.
However what all of them share is the checklist of primary paperwork you will want in your rental:
- a legitimate ID, normally a passport
- a credit score card together with your title on it (bear in mind, many automobile rental companies do not settle for debit playing cards for deposits, though that is slowly altering)
- a driver’s licence after all – see under
- proof of insurance coverage (otherwise you’ll have to purchase some)
Driving in France necessities are comparatively easy and just like these of different European international locations.
When you’re from Europe or the EEA, your nationwide driver’s licence is all you will want.
Past that, nonetheless, the scenario is a little more nuanced. You CAN generally stroll into an company and hire a automobile together with your nationwide licence from the USA or Canada, for instance, nevertheless it’s not a given.
The legislation says you want an official French translation of your licence (time consuming, difficulties find an accredited translator, and costly) or a global driver’s allow (IDP), which it’s essential to get earlier than you allow residence. It’s possible you’ll by no means be requested for it, however the legislation says you want it.
People driving in France (or any non-Europeans) would possibly be capable to hire a automobile with out an IDP, however if you happen to run into bother, have an accident or are checked by police, they want to have the ability to learn your licence, and many don’t learn English.
Do your self a favor and get the best paperwork earlier than you come.
Your licence should be legitimate for a minimum of one yr from the rental date, and in lots of instances, it’s essential to have had a licence for a minimum of a yr earlier than renting.
Most companies will not hire you a automobile if you happen to’re underneath 25 years outdated (a couple of will hire if you happen to’re between 21-25 however solely at the next price, so examine).
When you’re over a sure age (normally 65 or 69 however this can also fluctuate), chances are you’ll be charged further, or some companies won’t hire to you in any respect.
Your automobile rental comparability engine lists the age necessities for every automobile underneath “Rental Situations”.
4. Pre-buy some paper maps of France and guidebook
This will likely sound foolish on this digital day and age however you will see the knowledge of it when the GPS takes you right into a wheat discipline or down a road that has been pedestrianized for a few years.
GPS methods in automobiles are notoriously antiquated and infrequently up to date.
Additionally, there are sometimes comprehension points: road names might be mispronounced, and you will be in search of a highway quantity whereas the GPS provides you a reputation.
Keep away from all this problem and get a bodily map or highway atlas. I’ve the French version of the Michelin Highway Atlas and I additionally use this Michelin map (together with loads of regional and native maps).
5. Verify you are reserving the best automobile tools
You will discover most any automobile out there for rental in France, from tiny finances automobiles to luxurious automobiles. No matter you select, there are a selection of issues to think about when renting your automobile in France.
Most rental automobiles include the mandatory tools however double-check, simply to make sure:
- every automobile should be geared up with one fluorescent yellow vest for every individual within the automobile
- a purple emergency triangle to sign a breakdown
- spare brake lights (I’ve by no means understood this one however… it is the legislation) in a field within the trunk
When you plan to drive in cities, your automobile ought to have a Crit’Air sticker or vignette. What’s that, you say?
Of their efforts to cut back air pollution, many cities have established a air pollution grading system for automobiles. On significantly polluted days, the town might ban automobiles that do not meet Crit’Air 1 or 2 from their downtown core. Often, the ban is up on a bulletin board for all to see, on the entrance of the low-emission zone. Often, however not at all times.
If you do not have a Crit’Air sticker in your automobile in any respect, or if the quantity is larger than 2, avoid metropolis facilities, as a result of in some, the ban is year-round.
That stated, most rental corporations renew their inventory frequently in order that they’ll have newer fashions, all of which meet the air pollution standards – and which ought to carry a sticker. Ask, as a result of higher secure than sorry.
When you’re driving in winter, some areas of France require you by legislation to have both snow tires or chains. Be certain that your automobile is supplied if you happen to’re planning to drive in any of those departments between 1 November and 31 March. This additionally applies if you’re merely driving by way of.
A final examine
Earlier than you drive off together with your automobile from the rental company, be sure to…
- know the automobile rental company or insurance coverage emergency quantity to name if you happen to encounter an issue
- examine the situation of your automobile, take images or video of any injury or scratches
- examine that all the things works, from the GPS to the windshield wipers to the air conditioner (particularly if you happen to’re headed to scorching climates)
- discover out what sort of gas it makes use of and the way the fuel tank opens (you do not wish to fumble to open the catch with everybody honking behind you)
- be sure to know the place all the things is, from hazard lights to wipers and defogger – this fashion you will be ready if you want them essentially the most
- set your GPS to your first vacation spot (and discover it in your paper map, simply in case)
- find the closest fuel station to your drop-off level so you possibly can replenish in your approach again to return the automobile
- be sure to know the place at hand within the keys and whether or not the fuel tank must be full
- have money on you, in case your card is not useable, for fuel and tolls
6. Select the proper of automobile for France
A bigger automobile could also be extra snug on the motorway however if you happen to plan to go to France’s most stunning villages, many have tiny streets and scraping the wall together with your mirror (or worse) is not extraordinary.
Roads, too, could be slim, with barely room for two-way visitors (chances are you’ll even need to cease to let somebody by).
Additionally, parking garages are sometimes tiny, and maneuvering out and in could be a nightmare (I communicate from expertise).
7. Select the proper of automobile rental insurance coverage France
Insuring a automobile in France shouldn’t be elective.
You undoubtedly want insurance coverage, as a result of a shattered windscreen or minor dent can add up. Worse, you possibly can harm somebody and be liable for his or her medical prices.
Discovercars supplies the choice to purchase full insurance coverage protection however that stated, chances are you’ll not want the complete bundle.
Bank cards usually present automobile insurance coverage protection if you happen to use their card in your rental, so examine that first. In case your card does present insurance coverage, make sure that it contains some type of roadside help.
You can too purchase insurance coverage straight from an insurance coverage firm in lots of components of the world. Simply beware the deductible, which could be excessive. Actually, chances are you’ll have already got some protection by way of your house owner’s coverage or your automobile insurance coverage again residence – or by way of an vehicle affiliation, if you happen to belong to at least one.
Simply know that in France, you MUST be insured to hire and drive a automobile: it is the legislation. However the place you get your insurance coverage is as much as you.
8. Resolve the place to hire and return your automobile
The place you truly choose up your rental could make a distinction.
A rule of thumb is that this: in giant cities, hire exterior city or in a suburb, and in small cities, hire wherever. That is due to heavy visitors in cities, the place signposting is commonly poor and drivers impatient with slow-moving foreigners.
Most likely the best is to hire from an airport automobile company, if you happen to’re flying in − no have to battle downtown visitors (though, phrase of warning, airport leases are generally costlier).
Subsequent in line is a TGV practice station, which is commonly exterior city.
If neither of those is feasible, then attempt to hire at a practice station on the town. Streets round a station are historically well-signposted, and this could make your life marginally simpler.
If the town has a couple of station, choose the one closest to the course you will be driving.
Beneath no circumstance do you have to hire a automobile in Paris except you are conversant in driving within the metropolis. I have been driving in France for many years (together with in such driving black zones as Lyon or Good) and also you could not pay me sufficient to drive by way of central Paris.
This is why:
And some last tips on selecting your automobile rental company:
- Earlier than you determine, make sure that the company is open on the time you intend to select up your automobile, over lunch, for instance, or on weekends.
- Verify automobile rental in France opinions. Nowadays, nobody is shy about signalling a impolite receptionist or a grimy automobile, so discover out what individuals are saying.
- Look it up on Google Earth, to get a way of the visitors and the neighbourhood. This might be useful as you drive away.
- You’ll be able to hire a automobile in a single metropolis and return it in one other, however there might be a price, and doubtless not an insignificant one.
9. Some primary French driving guidelines are key
I’ve a whole submit about driving a rental automobile in France (or any automobile, for that matter) and I encourage you to learn it to get the fullest image. Meantime, listed below are a couple of important guidelines it’s essential know earlier than you get on our French roads.
- The one rule which may confuse you greater than others is the “precedence on the best”: anybody coming from the best has precedence – even when they’re coming into your highway from a small road. The one exception is when your highway is clearly marked as a precedence highway.
- Our velocity limits are strict: 130kph on the autoroute, 80kph on regular roads, 50kph on the town (and generally 30kph). For data, 10 kilometers per hour (kph) is 6 miles per hour.
- France does love its radars. Lately, they have been going up like loopy! The one excellent news is that fastened radars are signalled, so you already know they’re up forward. Cell radars on police automobiles, then again, aren’t.
- Oh, and do not even consider utilizing a radar detector or GPS warning system. If caught, you may be fined as much as 3000 Euros and even threat confiscation of your automobile. Not a pleasing thought.
- When you get a effective, pay it as quickly as you possibly can. Do not ignore it! It will likely be despatched to your automobile rental firm, which is able to merely deduct the quantity from the bank card it has on file for you. It’s possible you’ll not even know you have been fined till after you have returned residence.
- Bear in mind that chatting in your cellphone (or worse, texting) is illegitimate and likewise accompanied by a hefty effective.
- Welcome to the world of roundabouts. Just a few years in the past there have been hardly any. Now, they’re in every single place however since they’re comparatively new, most individuals on the highway do not actually know use them, so keep alert. There’s normally an indication that tells you who has precedence – it is normally the individual already IN the roundabout. However not at all times.
- These could also be apparent, however seat belts are obligatory for everybody, simply as consuming and driving is forbidden. The restrict is low in France: one drink and you have reached it. The fines are hefty and the dangers excessive, so wait until dinnertime when you possibly can stroll again to you lodging.
10. Highway indicators and tolls could also be a problem
Whereas driving in France shouldn’t be radically totally different from different international locations, there are unfamiliar indicators and (generally illogical) guidelines, and roads could be slim and winding. It’ll assist if you become familiar with them.
French highway indicators
Find out how to use French toll roads
Most motorways are privatized, and every firm units its personal worth, which can also fluctuate from yr to yr.
There’s an umbrella group that teams all of the freeway corporations however their web site hasn’t been up to date since 2021. Your greatest guess is the By way of Michelin route planner, which is up to date incessantly and may also help calculate distance and prices in your complete journey.
The phrase for toll in French? PÉAGE.
- To enter the motorway and get your ticket from the machine, press the massive fats button that claims “Ticket”. Put the ticket away someplace secure, behind your solar visor, for instance.
- To depart the motorway, drive as much as the machine, search for the blinking gentle and place your ticket in that slot (within the course of the arrow, if there’s one). It’ll calculate what you owe, and one other gentle will blink, the place you are presupposed to deposit your money or insert your bank card. And eventually, you will be requested if you need a receipt.
- Many of those machines have English directions, however they could be onerous to decipher for a first-timer (or if the sunshine is shining in your eyes) and it is best to know what to anticipate earlier than it’s important to grapple with unfamiliar buttons. If you would like your directions in English, search for the button subsequent to a Union Jack flag.
- Ensure you have money. Whereas French machines are normally glorious, do be sure to have a couple of NEW crisp payments, as a result of they’ve been recognized to reject outdated crumpled ones.
Find out how to pay for a toll highway
Some toll cubicles are huge. Do not be intimidated. When you’re becoming a member of the motorway right here, any machine will do. When you’re leaving it, then observe the indicators under.
A inexperienced downward arrow is what you are in search of. This implies all funds are accepted – money, card or move (you will not have a move since you do not stay right here).
An orange “t” signal means you want a move to enter. Not for you.
Two superimposed white bank cards imply you possibly can pay with a sensible card. Except you will have a French or an EU bank card with a sensible chip, keep away from these. The toll system would not take all playing cards, and if it would not like yours, it’d swallow it and chances are you’ll not get it again for weeks.
A purple cross means don’t enter.
A velocity restrict signal with an orange “t” is for pass-holders solely, and means they’ll decelerate and undergo with out stopping.
11. Know what to do in an emergency
I discussed earlier that one of many first issues it’s best to do is establish the emergency numbers to name for each your automobile rental and your insurance coverage.
In an emergency, if it is a critical menace, name the police first. The quantity (it is the identical throughout Europe) is 112. As quickly as you possibly can when issues start to clear, name the insurance coverage and your automobile rental company.
It will be good to have a translation app in your cellphone, one you need to use to relay a message in French if wanted.
12. Ensure you truly NEED to hire a automobile in France
I hate to convey it up, however ask your self whether or not you actually need to hire a automobile. There are sturdy arguments for and towards, and I will lay them out right here for you.
Renting a automobile within the metropolis
When you’re visiting principally cities, then no, you do not want a rental automobile in France. Actually it will be extra of a hindrance than a assist.
Public transportation is plentiful and parking in French cities is tough: ceilings are low, areas are tiny, costs are sky-high.
The glorious practice community will attain most cities and cities in France.
Renting a automobile to go to the countryside
When you plan on visiting the countryside and haven’t got your individual automobile, then sure, renting a automobile in France makes good sense.
Some areas merely require a automobile, locations like the Alps, its villages linked by slim mountain roads, or wild locations, like the Ardèche, with its dashing rivers and never a practice station in sight.
Examples of if you want a automobile in France (or do not want one)
For Paris: No. By no means. Not. Renting a automobile in Paris is a nasty concept. When you want convincing, this YouTube video would possibly do the trick.
For Burgundy: For metropolis hops to Dijon or Beaune, no automobile is required. However if you happen to plan on driving the Route des Grands Crus and pattern Burgundy wines alongside the best way, then most definitely, sure. Or, you possibly can hire a motorbike for a part of the route.
For the French Riviera: Not in summer time, when roads are bloated with visitors and driving is loopy. Alongside the coast, simply use the practice. Low season, sure, a automobile is great, for instance if you wish to observe trails just like the Mimosa Route.
For Provence: Provence is a type of iconic areas whose tiniest corners beg to be visited, however which can’t be seen with out a automobile. So sure, you do want a automobile within the south of France. Public transportation is scarce, particularly to locations like the hilltop villages of the Luberon. When you’re headed to Provence, here is my ten-day south of France itinerary that can assist you plan a wonderful journey!
For the Basque area: No want for a automobile if you happen to’re sticking to cities like Bayonne, Biarritz, Saint-Jean-de-Luz. The attractive inside, nonetheless, does require a automobile, particularly for if you wish to take a Basque nation highway journey.
For the Loire Valley chateaux: Just a few of the chateaux can simply be reached on a day journey tour from Paris, or by practice if you happen to’re headed to Blois or Amboise. However for an extended go to or to see among the extra distant chateaux, a automobile is required.
For Brittany: Sure, you will want a automobile. You’ll be able to catch the practice to one of many essential cities, however Brittany is a lot greater than fairly villages.
Professionals and cons of renting a automobile in France
Professionals: You must rent a automobile in France as a result of…
- Public transport shouldn’t be that nice exterior essential cities so if you happen to plan to department out and discover, you will want a automobile.
- You’ll see issues which might be much less crowded and a bit extra off-the-beaten observe, as a result of most guests to France do not come by automobile.
- Roads are glorious and effectively signposted, and driving is not too totally different from what you are used to when you grasp the fundamentals.
- Having your individual automobile will provide you with the liberty to return and go as you please, with out being depending on transport schedules or availability, to not point out avoiding France’s frequent transport strikes.
- You will save many hours of ready in stations and airports – simply get into your automobile and go!
- And if you happen to DO determine to hire a automobile, be sure to get my cheat sheet – it lists the important thing French driving guidelines it’s essential know, and has tricks to remind you of the necessities.
Cons: Do not hire a automobile in France as a result of…
- The price of rental and gas have climbed considerably lately.
- Automobiles are virtually ineffective in giant cities. Parking is dear and sometimes scarce, streets could be slim, and visitors haphazard. Not solely that, however many French cities now have air pollution controls which ban sure sorts of automobile from the town middle.
- In excessive season, in style roads can get very crowded and parking close to points of interest scarce.
Finest suggestions for renting a automobile in France
I feel I’ve coated most issues it’s essential find out about renting a automobile in France BUT… listed below are much more driving in France suggestions you will be pleased to know.
On the highway
- Once you’re filling up with fuel, attempt to do it removed from the motorway, the place costs are considerably larger.
- Be conscious when paying. Some fuel pumps might not take a international bank card, or will solely take one with a sensible chip.
- Hold your rental automobile as clear as doable. Whereas “regular” put on is predicted throughout your rental, chances are you’ll be charged for cleansing if you happen to hand it again really messy.
- Verify the gas return coverage. It’s normally cheaper so that you can replenish the automobile with gas your self on the finish of your journey than to let the rental company do it.
- And eventually, tolls and fuel. The price of French toll roads could be extraordinarily excessive, and on some stretches toll costs are larger than fuel. Think about taking facet roads for these bits: the By way of Michelin web site will calculate mileage and prices for you primarily based on which roads you select. To not point out that a lot of France’s magnificence lies away from the key roads…
Driving at night time suggestions
- When you plan to drive at night time, attempt to replenish your fuel tank early within the night to verify fuel stations are totally open.
- Bear in mind that some service stations shut or cut back their providers at night time. This implies you will both need to pay prematurely in your fuel or use your card within the computerized machine.
- Some stations haven’t got human attendants at night time so in case your card would not work, effectively…
- Some fuel stations are closed at night time, maybe they’ve run out of gas or for another purpose, however which will imply there is a vital distance between pumps, so do not let your gauge drop under half-full.
- Attempt to keep off the roads on Friday and Saturday nights. Consuming and driving is unfortunately nonetheless frequent in France and I do not really feel very secure on the highway as soon as everyone seems to be heading residence from a bar or disco on the weekend.
French automobile rental vocabulary
How do you say automobile in French? Or computerized transmission?
Listed below are a couple of phrases and phrases that may be of use if you hire a automobile in France.
- Location – rental
- Boite manuelle / transmission automatique – handbook / computerized transmission
- La clim – air con
- Un accident – an accident
- Un vol – a theft
- Assurance – insurance coverage
- Carte de credit score – bank card
- Où – the place
- Quand – when
- Combien – how a lot
- Une décapotable – a convertible
- Un quatre-quatre – a four-wheel drive
- Gazole – diesel
Renting a French automobile: FAQ
Take pleasure in your drive by way of France, a rustic whose magnificence lies principally away from its essential roads. Listed below are some sensational French highway journeys to show it!
Ultimate ideas about renting a automobile in France
Do not let it scare you! It is no extra sophisticated than renting a automobile wherever else.
I’ve tried to cowl all of the associated matters right here however frankly, all it’s essential do is affirm your dates, comparability store for one of the best worth, hire your automobile, be sure to have the best papers (which you’d for journey anyway!) and prepare to expertise one of the gorgeous international locations on the earth!
Journey in France by automobile is the easiest way to go off the overwhelmed path and really expertise what the nation has to supply.
When you appreciated this, please share it on social media!